Thursday, July 5, 2012

He thinks we're just fishin'

I was hanging out with a friend today and he shared with me a really great personal story about God meeting him in a cool way when he was fishing recently. We talked a bit about the experience that he had and how he had been praying and was almost embarrassed to say that he had asked God to let him catch a fish (he had had a string of bad luck).
We agreed that scripture is clear that he shouldn't be and that it really does encourage us to simply keep our hearts and thoughts totally open to Him. I really think that that is when we are most close to Him. When we are willing to really just talk with Him. Not posture or pray as we think someone may want us to pray, but to open our hearts and then be willing to listen too.
We went on vacation recently and I did a lot of fishing with Ryan, throwing the football with Matthew and boogie boarding with Garrett while we were at the beach. I literally could have done those three things almost all day long. I had such a great time simply being with my boys. Doing what they liked to do with no time line or distractions (except maybe one of the other boys wanting to do one of the other things I listed above). It was simply fun to be with them.
Whether I was casting the line out into the ocean for Ryan, lofting the ball to Matthew as he ran a route or catching a wave with Garrett I felt really close to them. I got joy through their joy. God is no different. He gets joy through our joy. He longs to spend time with us, talk with us and be known by us. As John Eldredge once said, "The Bible can mostly be summed up as God simply saying, "Come closer.""
What I should be embarrassed about is wondering if my Abba would think that I am foolish for asking Him to help us catch a fish. He tells us to have faith like a child and to become like a child, so why am I so surprised that when I do that I often have such a real experience with Him?
I did the same thing as my friend when Ryan and I were fishing off the beach on our vacation. Ryan had not caught anything when we went out on the first day and after quite a while I just started to talk the Him as I was net casting for bait. Asking Him if Ryan could just catch one fish so we could celebrate together there on the beach. After talking to Him about that for a while when Ryan finally caught that little black tip shark it didn't feel like it was just the two of us celebrating the catch, but rather three of us.
My friend told me today that he thinks that we are often slow to pray because we are then admitting that we need God and can't do it on our own. I know that sometimes for me that is true. I also know that it is a lot more fun to catch a baby shark with your son when your Abba is there with you. It is easy to often think that we are simply "fishin" and that God is not involved in our lives, but that is simply not true. Life is meant to be far deeper and richer than that. I really do want to come closer and yes, He really wants us to as well.
Blessings...

1 comment: