Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It's The Relationship That Matters

I got a text today from Suzanne and she told me that Ryan had gotten an 88 on his science test and that it was the highest grade in the class. When I read the text a huge smile spread across my face. Before I get too far into this let me set the record straight, I am not sharing this so that you know that my son got the highest grade in the class. Tomorrow he is just as likely to come home with the lowest grade!

As I was working today though I really smiled deep down inside thinking about my relationship with Ryan and what I am lerning from fathering my son. Suzanne and I have really struggled to work with him on giving his best efforts at all times (especially in school). He really tends to blow things off if it isn't something that gets him jacked up or is of real interest to him. I have also noticed how relationships are very important to him. If he connects with a teacher or coach he is all in and goes after it in a way that he doesn't if that relational connection is not there. Ryan has a teacher right now that he is really connected with. She is a very gifted lady who has been teaching for many years and knows her stuff and cares about her kids.

This little situation made me think about God and how so often people view him as a distant something floating around somewhere. Often he is viewed as disengaged and disinterested. maybe even uncaring. As I read the Bible though and I spend time working on my relationship with God I find that the opposite is true. I read about and experience a God that desperately wants to be involved in our lives and wants to be known. I also find that just like my son when I keep that thought in front of me and I live life with him and trust him (even when it seems like he is nowhere to be found) I find myself becoming more engaged with others and living my life as he says, "to the full." I grade out better because I am tracking with someone that I can trust loves me, sees me and wants what is best for me. If God is distant and disconnected it is hard to give life your best efforts. To live it out as he asks us to. To have real meaning. But, if God is close and caring that changes everything.
Thanks for the lesson Ry!
Blessings...

1 comment:

  1. You're such a good dad Chad-love your blog. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete