Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Quan

What is "The Quan" you ask? It is a word used by Rod Tidwell in the movie Jerry Maguire to refer to the total package. To Rod the total package means love, respect, community and money. According to Rod, "Other football players may have the coin, but they won't have the 'Quan'". My definition of quan may not line up exactly with Rod's definition but I do love his enthusiasm and spirit in the movie.

My brother and I had a great conversation today about a leadership study that we are doing and a book that we are reading together. It is called "Integrity", but I have taken to calling it The Quan! I really enjoy these times with him and today was a good one. We spent time talking about the kind of wake that we are leaving behind us in life. We thought about our wake at home, work and in our community. 

I think this is going to be an important study for us because as life changes the demands on us change too and this study is going to have us asking ourselves good questions like: Are people in our wake more trusting after working with us? Are they more fulfilled as people? Were they stretched and inspired to become more?
Or, instead are they wounded? Less Trusting? Do they feel let down and manipulated?

The book is by Henry Cloud and in it he talks about the fact that we all will have our metal tested in life and we need to do our best to make sure that we have the "structural integrity" or in my words "the quan" to meet those demands.  If we don't we will have a wake behind us that instead of causing my friends, family and co-workers to grow, flourish and move to a stronger, better place in life may cause them to stumble and wipe out and I definitely don't want that.

Jesus said that He came to offer life and not just life, but life to the full. A life with meaning and purpose as well as eternal life. I want my life to be a reflection of his as much as it can be and to have a wake that the people I lead and the kids and wife that I live with will be encouraged by, challenged by and ultimately help guide them to a full and meaningful life that only Jesus can offer. Blessings...

No comments:

Post a Comment