Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lots of sugar

A couple of nights ago Matthew asked me if I would make him some cereal for dessert. He chose Rice Chex and I started to get the bowl out and get it ready. I know him well and knew that before I could even finish he would be sure to ask me to put lots of sugar on his Chex. I also knew that he would make sure to remind me that he likes the milk on first and then the sugar. He didn't fail me. As I poured the cereal he quickly reminded me of both.
As I performed my duties it made me smile. I love my son and love what makes him uniquely Matthew. His strengths, his weaknesses and everything in between. As I thought on this for a second I immediately thought of a couple of passages, Matthew 7:9-11 and Matthew 6:6-8. Both deal with the fact that God knows each of us intimately whether we want Him to or not and knows exactly what we want and more importantly what we need.
He feels the same way about you and I as I do about Matthew. You can trust Him. He knows just what you need when you need it. That is not always easy. Sometimes he allows hard things to happen in our lives to prune us or teach us, but sometimes he puts extra sugar on before he puts the milk in the bowl and sits back and watches us enjoy what he has made just for us.

1 comment:

  1. Just what the doc ordered. Sweet words, ordained. Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete